Paralegal – FOIA/Transparency
Loevy & Loevy is a top tier national civil rights and public interest law firm. We are leaders in civil rights, whistleblower and False Claims Act, privacy, and transparency cases. We are now accepting applications for a FOIA Paralegal position located in our Chicago office. Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis until the position has been filled.
The Transparency Team represents journalists, activists and others in their efforts to shine a light on government practices through the disclosure of critical information and documents. For example, among other cases, the Transparency Team forced the release of the Laquan McDonald shooting video, documents describing the horrific conditions of ICE detainees, and removal of some of the redactions to the Mueller Report. The Transparency Team’s cutting edge work also involves First Amendment litigation, including protecting the right of free speech against governmental abuse. More information about the practice is available here: https://loevy.com/first-amendment/.
- Passion for civil rights and social justice
- Impeccable organization and self-management and ability to manage deadlines
- Hard-working attitude
- Flexibility and willingness to take on new challenges
- Great attention to detail
- Curious with a strong desire to learn
- Persistence in overcoming external obstacles
- Strong interpersonal skills/gets along well with others
- Cool under pressure (able to think and respond rather than react in haste)
- Creative and agile problem solver in a fast-moving litigation environment
- Computer and document management skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and basic competency with Microsoft Excel
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, courts, and opposing counsel
- Strong writing, editing and proofing skills
- Strong commitment to ethics, justice, teamwork and respect for human dignity
- Bachelor’s Degree or significant litigation experience
The paralegal job will support the intake and practice management aspects of the practice, and will have significant client interaction, including local and national media organizations. This includes onboarding new clients and cases, drafting complaints, assisting with billing and fee petitions (accounting experience is not required), tracking and reporting case information, scheduling and other clerical tasks. It will also provide back-up assistance to other paralegals on the team with case management activities like docketing and court filings.
We are looking for people who will bring diligence, creativity and compassion to their work and who share our values of working in a collaborative, client-centered environment to advance the public interest. Candidates must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, often on tight deadlines, and across multiple time zones.
For more information about Loevy & Loevy, please visit http://www.loevy.com.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to ParalegalHiring@loevy.com using “FOIA Paralegal” as your subject line.
COMPENSATION: Base salary of $50,000 (entry level) – $60,000 (experienced FOIA paralegal), plus annualized bonuses of at least $7,500.
BENEFITS: Employer paid medical insurance with employer funded HRA, vision, dental, and life insurance, 401(k) plan with up to 4% matching, generous vacation, holiday and sick policies.
Loevy & Loevy is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and an inclusive culture. We welcome applications from first-generation professionals. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran’s status, or national origin.